Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Two Week Update

It's hard to believe that we have been in India for two weeks already. Time really does fly by. For all those who didn't want us to leave, we'll be back before you know it. The good thing is we will have many stories and memories to share.

I'm going to do a brief summary of the past two weeks since we met with the other KEI study abroad participants. While we were still in Mumbai, we ventured to the Gateway of India overlooking the Arabian Sea. The monument was erected to commemorate the arrival of King George V and Queen Mary.

Wellington Pier (formerly known as Apollo Bunder).
 The Gateway is the arch on the right. 
We got our picture taken as a group and then hopped on a ferry to Elephanta Island. The ferry ride took about an hour each way. It was a gorgeous, sunny day (as most days in India), and we all got a little sunburned. Once we got off the boat, we began a long walk/hike to the caves. Elephanta Island (also known as demon monkey island to our friends we met in Mumbai) is the home of the Elephanta Caves, a UNESCO world heritage site. The Hindu caves contain rock cut stone sculptures representing and honoring the god Shiva, the Destroyer. I guess the reason they called it demon monkey island is due to the fact that monkeys are scouring the entire place looking for food handouts from all the tourists. (To be honest, this was the first place where we finally saw other white folks.) Tess made friends with one of the monkeys until he began growling at her. She should have known the friendship wouldn't have lasted long without food. The way into a guys heart is through his belly! We walked around the caves for a while embracing the history of our surroundings. One of the workers in the caves gave us a free tour of the different sculptures. He was adamant about the fact that the Portuguese used them as target practices; therefore, most of the sculptures are missing arms and/or legs.

Depictions of the god, Shiva, dating
back to the 5th century.
Tess and her, not so close, monkey friend.
That afternoon, we walked through a large market in Mumabi. Venders hassled us left and right. I guess being a college student on a college budget doesn't mean much to them. They believe every foreign person is rich. I was still exhausted from being sick the day before, and everyone else had jet lag. Therefore, we made a quick stop by a bustling train station and headed back to the hotel to sleep.
We have now spent a week in Pune (poo-na). Pune is a fantastic city. It's cleaner and less crowded than Mumbai. However, catching a rickshaw here is much more difficult. The drivers don't use the meter at night, so you have to bargain. If they don't like your price, they'll just sit there starring at you while you frantically search for another rickshaw. Since we've been traveling in large groups, it's been so difficult getting places. Tess and I end up walking most of the time. It's better exercise, we save money, and there's no hassle. 

We are studying at the Symbiosis School of Liberal Arts (SSLA). It is a branch of Symbiosis International University. Believe it or not, we actually found a college smaller than VI. It has a total of 135 students including the seven of us. The good thing is the entire college is located on the 11th floor of the building. I live on the tenth floor. So, I guess you could say I get my morning workout by walking up one whole flight of stairs! It's nice though and the classes seem like they are going to be interesting. I am slowly making friends with the Indian students. They are all so sweet but a little shy around us. It's funny, the Indians have no sense of personal space. They shove in lines, jump to the front, and stand as close to you as possible in the elevator. However, when it comes to talking, they lack conversational skills. I'm sure they'll come around when they are more comfortable with us. A few of the girls are amazing though. I'm still trying to learn how to pronounce their names correctly. I got Lyla and Mannasa (man-a-saw) down... I think. 

I am enrolled in four classes here (and I'm taking two more online for VI). The classes include: Hindi for beginners, Comprehending India: The Living Past, Film Studies, and Oops: Objects Out of Place. We haven't started Hindi yet, but I think I am most excited about that one. I never really wanted to learn Hindi before, but at this point I just want to learn any language. Next on my list is German and maybe Russian. I like my teachers... Well, I've only actually met one of them at this point. Things really are more relaxed here. Life is easy going and carefree, something I truly needed. I've spent most of the days in Pune catching up on breathing and sleeping. Yes, you might say I've been lazy, but I just can't help it. Although, I do have plans for this weekend to venture out and see old relics around Pune. I also plan on shooting a lot more in the next two weeks. We have a marvelous trip planned to Jaipur, Agra, and Delhi next week that I am thrilled about! 

Enough for now. I plan on going into a few details of some of the crazier events tomorrow. Check in for more later. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even get a monkey to like me without food. I'm officially screwed..

    ReplyDelete