Saturday, April 6, 2013

Where Does the Time Go?

It's either extremely late at night, or it's definitely too early to be awake; however, I am awake and can't seem to close my eyes. My mind is racing with numerous thoughts.Thoughts about home. Thoughts about various relationships and friendships. Thoughts about traveling and the future. But mostly, I am thinking about India and the people I have met here.

I just scanned the calendar on my computer and tears began to well-up in my eyes. Do I really only have 24 days left in Pune? I seriously hate the expression "time flies" at the moment. I don't want time to fly. I want it to stop right here, right now. My friend turned to me tonight and said, "I think you've fallen in love with our country." The problem is I think she is right.

I love India. I love the food, however spicy it may be. For some reason, I like the random smells that coming lofting through our broken window. I like washing my clothes and hanging them on the balcony to dry. I am head-over-heels crazy about dosas, chaat, and mango shakes. I can't forget about uttapam, idli, and parathas. I love the colors everywhere, the clothes, the signs, the architecture. I love the history and the stories people tell. I love learning how to read, write, and barely speak Hindi. मीरा नाम लीना हें (I couldn't find the correct version of "hei," so that one will have to do).

I love the old and the new. I like getting lost on random streets, taking in a life that is so different from mine. I like the fact that I can wave at a boy on the back of a bike and completely turn his day around for the better. I have never seen such amazing smiles as the ones that come from the wonderful people here. There is so much life in each and everyone of these souls. I'm not ready to leave all of it behind just yet.

I took a job in Colorado for the summer, and now I am completely regretting that decision. I know it will be an amazing opportunity, but I'm cutting my trip in India too short. I wish I had another couple of years here.  I keep contemplating how I will make it back here soon. Can I come during the summer in 2014? Can I find an American based job that will allow me to travel and work here? Can I volunteer for an NGO? There has to be something I can do here in India. Any ideas?

I look at my friends' faces when I say I only have less than a month left. It never fails; they always drop in sadness. Besides Hernando, I have never felt such a strong connection with a place. Not Virginia, not Maine, not Alaska. I've lived in all of these places, but none of them have been as welcoming and amazing as Pune.

On a few of the postcards I mailed back to the US, there is a logo written that says, "Incredible India." Well, whoever wrote that slogan was 110% correct.

India is incredible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment