Monday, April 8, 2013

Random Contemplations I

I was attempting to find inspiration to write this morning. I listened to the sounds fluttering through our open window as the curtain swayed softly back and forth. The repetitious drilling of the concrete outside has left a permanent "da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da-da" sound in daily thoughts. The traffic whizzed by, and the sounds of children laughing as they piled into a rickshaw was carried up from the streets. I closed my eyes and tried to hear other noises. Various honks from different makes and models of vehicles could be heard. An engine got louder as a lonely rickshaw increased its speed...

There are so many noises in India. Sometimes, it is hard to concentrate. However, finding peace does not mean drowning out the noises in your life; finding peace means, in the midst of those noises, find the calm in yourself. This is something you become a master at while living in India. If you attempted to bury the sounds, you wouldn't get anywhere or achieve anything. You have to learn that it is you who needs to be quiet, settle the emotion on the inside. Take several big deep breaths, and then carry on with your day.

I can't promise I am going to write much in the next two weeks. It is exam and final submission time here, and everyone, including myself, is absolutely swamped. I got the two hardest papers out of the way; however, I still have nine more to go. My favorite class at the moment is Hindi. 1. Our teacher is amazing and even brought us the bagels we had been desperately longing for for quite some time. 2. She isn't giving us an exam, which means less stress for me. And, 3. I love learning Hindi.

Okay, sometimes I do hate how difficult it is. I have decided to take online Hindi lessons once I get home. When I find a semi-permanent residence, I plan on looking for an actual teacher. I just hope I don't forget what I have already learned. It truly is a fascinating language.

This is something I have gone around saying to my friends recently. Every time they just laugh (Not fair, by the way. At least I am trying).

 मुझे तुम पसंढ हो ।

It simply means "I like you". I think it's refreshing when someone tells you they like you. I could go around saying I don't like you, but that wouldn't be very kind.

There's lots to learn, but I take it as an exciting challenge! Who knows, knowing Hindi could be useful in the future. It's on my bucket list to learn another foreign language, so why not Hindi?

No comments:

Post a Comment