Friday, March 22, 2013

I've Fallen in Love

There are two men here who have captured my heart (and I hate that I don't have any photographs of them yet). I would assume they are both in their upper forties to fifties. I also can barely speak to either of them because they both speak Marathi and very little English. Every now and then, I get a couple of Hindi words out there that they know. Whenever I say namaste, it makes them grin.

The first is our cleaning man. Tess and I are so spoiled in the fact that our room is alway neat. Every morning the man comes knocking on our door. He has really come to like the two of us. It could be because we are cute, American girls. Or, it could be the fact that we tip him in cookies and cash every Friday. Who doesn't like cookies and cash? He never fails to put a smile on my face. He comes in with his own big smile and an enthusiastic "good morning ma'am". He works extremely hard for very little, so we do what we can to help. We pick up stuff from the floor, make our own beds, and try to keep it fairly neat. Plus, our room is much easier to clean than Eugene's and Emanuel's. I hate to say this, but it is so nice having our room vacuumed every other day. I'm going to miss that when we get back to the states.

The second man is our banana guy. Oh my goodness, he is so precious. We walk a couple of extra blocks just to find him sitting by his cart full of colorful fruits. It wasn't hard for him to recognize us the second time we returned. He always tries to sell us extra fruit, which is so funny. He knows at this point we come for 6 or 9 bananas, but  he never fails to ask. Sometimes we do get the occasional grapes. He also let us try his figs one day. They were delicious and reminded of the days I used to climb fig trees in South Carolina. He is one person that we practice our Hindi with. "Mujhe chhe banana cha-hi-ye." (I would like six bananas.) I think he finds it funny when we say this because it never fails to bring a giant smile to his face!

I'll make sure to get some photographs of them before I leave! But for now, enjoy this black and white series of people I have taken while exploring.

(If you click on one of the photos, it will make them larger).





No comments:

Post a Comment