Friday, March 1, 2013

The Little Things

I started this blog for a few various reasons. For one, I wanted to keep everyone posted on my travels through India. I have somewhat failed in that aspect. I haven't really kept any of you informed on the goings on in India. The second reason I began this blog was for my Documenting Culture class I'm enrolled in at VI.

I've looked back through my posts, and a few have captured some of the culture shock that comes with living in India. The post on the rickshaw drive adequately portrays the insanity that is traffic here. The train journey was another part of the culture shock I have documented. However, there are other things in India which are so very different than living in the United States. While my camera is out of sorts and I can not upload any new pictures, I have decided to fill you in on some of my random contemplations throughout these past several weeks.

I stand by the fact that I love India. It is truly incredible. I wake up early most mornings as the sun comes softly through our cream curtains. The pigeons coo in the morning air on our balcony's ledge. It has become ritual to wake up, check emails, make breakfast, and open the balcony door to the city of Pune. The traffic begins to buzz down the bumpy Senapati Bapat road as students trickle through the college's gates.

Pune is a special city. It is the nation's university city. In a sense, it reminds me of Cambridge; hundreds of little colleges packed into one area. Yet, Pune is massive! I keep thinking it can't be any larger until I find myself in an hour long rickshaw ride to yet another unexplored area of the city. I believe I have adapted to it quite well. I was afraid I would not learn my way around until the day we left. However, yesterday evening I was able to correctly tell the rickshaw driver where the restaurant was in Koregan Park. Tess even spotted some buildings that we knew way after the sun went down. We are proud of our successes here, even if they are small ones. We have made some wonderful friendships, attend a weekly Bible study group, and have adventures all the time.

A simple walk up the street is an adventure for us. There is a corner shop a few blocks away in which we get the small necessities. The owner and his son love us there. We speak a little hindi, which makes them and every other Indian smile. The language barrier is not that much of an issue for us. Sadly, I haven't learned as much Hindi as I had hoped. For one, everyone speaks English to us. Secondly, in Pune, the local state language, Marathi, is spoken more than Hindi. I have gotten to the point where I can read a few of the signs on the side of the street or next to the individual shops. There are 312 letters or variations of letters in their alphabet, so don't get me wrong when I say I can't read all of it. But, the trill of being able to read some of the sanskrit is always exciting, even if I have no idea what it actually says.

Each day I am caught off guard by the fact I can say I am living and studying in India. There are only seven weeks left of this adventure, which saddens me. But, who knows? If it is in God's plan, I may show up in this wonderful country once again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment