Monday, March 11, 2013

The Honeymoon is Over


We were told when we arrived there were stages each one of us would have to go through in order to completely adapt to life in India. The first stage is the honeymoon stage. "Visitors in the honeymoon stage view the new culture as something exciting and fresh. Differences in culture and appearance seem fascinating, while similarities stand out as common bonds." This first stage is only supposed to last a couple of weeks followed by a period of rejection and isolation. I was told to come here with an open mind and expect the unexpected always. So, I took that to heart and honestly haven't had many "bad" days in India. I never really entered into the rejection stage. Every moment has been exciting; there is always something new to look forward to every day. 

However, I have gotten a little home sick lately. This has only occurred in the last several days. I don't feel as if I've moved in to the isolation stage, which is typically characterized by homesickness. I am still  having adventures and getting in to mischief as always. Yet, there are small things during the day that remind me of home. For instance, America is mentioned in our classes all the time. I see maps of the US constantly. And, of course, I can spot good ole Mississippi right off the bat. 

It is true you take things for granted until you no longer have them. I miss my sisters every day. I am reminded daily of their love. They each supported my choice in studying abroad and were very encouraging. How could anyone ask for better sisters? For Christmas, they supplied me with amazing gifts that would help me during my travels. Helen gave me a wonderful Osprey shoulder bag for Christmas. I use it every day to carry around my random belongings. She also had the great idea for me to buy a water purifying bottle. I can't thank her enough for that idea. Tess and I don't have to spend a fortune on water bottles because we just refill the ones we have with my purifying camelbak. Morgan gave me a journal, which I just finished filling up, and an adorable zebra wallet. Obviously, I have used each of these almost everyday since I arrived in India. Sara gave me a cute pair of colorful Toms. You have no idea how much I have worn those out. I love them! Thank goodness they are so comfortable because I have put around a hundred miles on them. These gifts remind me how much I really miss seeing my sisters. 

I am also missing my friends back at VI and in east Tennessee. Tess and I decided to have a "girls' night in last night. In Virginia, this consisted of ordering Chinese delivery and watching Disney movies. At home, we had two other partners in crime, Molly and Kayla. Every now and then Arlyn would also join us. It wasn't quite the same in India. For one, I couldn't find egg rolls and secondly we really missed the other girls. Not to mention, we could only watch one movie because the internet would download the others fast enough. 

I miss SURF, Matt and Sherry, and little Caleb-o. I miss crashing on their couch on lonely nights, Bobba's wonderful cooking, and the many many moments of laughter. 

I miss my second home on 223 Gregory Ave in Greeneville, TN. Mr. Ed and Mrs. Kathy were always so welcoming. I loved spending time with the Tilson gang. We always had good food, great talks about cycling, and lots of fun just relaxing in their comfortable living room. 

I miss the small things too. I miss Hue the Vue, classes that start on time, Spring rains, the Appalachian Mountains, non-spicy food, the quad, Coach Letterman, Blackbird muffins, AnnOlivia's cupcakes, cycling rides on clear afternoons, crazy Amy Thompson, wearing shorts as the warm months come around, having an actual wardrobe, my amazingly squishy mattress, late night Wal-Mart runs, velveeta mac'n'cheese, Mom's cooking, Dan's laugh, and so much more. 

Wow, this has been a hard blog to write. The more I write, the more I miss home. I just want you all to know how special you are to me, and how excited I am to see my family and friends in May. However, I will continue to live it up in India. Don't worry about that. I just wanted to thank you all for encouraging me to be who I am and never stop traveling. I am grateful for these adventures. I am blessed to have a God that allows me to travel as much as I do. I do miss you all greatly and pray for your daily adventures in the US!

Take care everyone and remember to enjoy the little things!

1 comment:

  1. Lena, we all miss you too. I know it's hard to miss home but before you know it you will be home and missing India! Keep enjoying the time you'll have and you'll be back here soon enough. Love you bunches! :)
    -Sara

    ReplyDelete