Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Something Random

So, I have this one teacher here in India who is absolutely amazing. I promise he has an entire encyclopedia of India stashed inside his head. You can ask him anything, not almost anything, but anything. He loves to talk. Of course, when I say talk, I do mean ramble on for two complete hours of class time. It's fascinating though. We have learned about the monsoons and how they affect the economy as well as the environment. We've learned about the women's roll in Indian society, dowry, and women in the work place. Last week, we touched on the indigenous tribes of India. (Did I mention I get to go to one of the states known for its tribes?)

You can see it really is an interesting class. However, there is one thing that gets to me while I sit in the back doodling in my journal. There is something special about the way our teacher pronounces his "Ts". I know this is probably the most random thing to blog about, but every class all I hear now is the exaggerated T.

Say the word development.

Government.

Or, even better, it.

Do you know how many times we say "it"?

It's a lot.

Now, say them again while making sure to put your tongue on the roof of your mouth and amplify the T at the end. Do this a hundred times in two hours, and you'll know how I feel.

In the Hindi language, there are four different T sounds. It has been a journey just trying to learn each of them. You have to use your throat, chest, and tongue in unusual combinations. They do have one in which the T is magnified; therefore, this is the one our teacher utilizes on words we wouldn't normally intensify. In the end, it makes me smile. Like I have said many times, these are the small things that are simply a part of their culture, and you have to be ready for the unexpected.

No comments:

Post a Comment